1. How many jobs have you had, and which was your favorite?
About four. Being an electrical engineer is pretty darn awesome and gets to be my favorite, but the store clerk gig at Discovery Channel Store ranks a close second.
2. When did you first connect to other people via computers?
I know in 1998 I had my geocities homepage. I was in lycos chat rooms before that.
3. Were/are you on AOL? Compuserve? A Listserv? Other?
We didn't have the internet at home. I'd save my webpage articles to a 3.5" disk and take it to school where I'd upload the files. I didn't have the internet on my own computer until I was in college.
4. If you went to college, does your major match your career/current job?
Yup. I majored in electronics engineering technology, my career is in electrical engineering.
5. When did you get your first cell phone? What was it like? Did it have a screen?
I was a college graduate, working in Wichita, making this huge risky decision to use a cell phone and NOT have a land line... crazy in 2002!
My first phone was a Nokia 3210. Like everybody.
6. Do you still own media on physical one-off storage devices like CDs, tapes, reels?
I still have CDs in the basement. I swear I'll get rid of them. But actually, my kid listens to them when she goes to sleep, so yes there are still CDs happening in our house.
7. When did your family first acquire a colour TV?
We always had a color TV.
8. When did your family acquire a second TV?
We always had a separate black and white TV in the basement.
9. Did you ever own “designer jeans”?
Nope, too tall. I get jeans where I can find them.
10. Have you ever been to a disco?
I've been to plenty of night clubs, even before I married the DJ. Love going out!
11. How many places (towns, states, countries) have you lived in?
Not enough! Kansas City, St. Louis, Pittsburg Kansas, Wichita Kansas.
12. Have any of your contemporary friends died?
Yes. The two I think about the most: Brent, a guy I went to college with and worked with in the dorms, became a teacher drowned trying to save his own students from riptides on a class trip to Costa Rica.
There was also Jaime, a local artist who I'd split a craft fair booth with, died of fast-moving brain cancer.
13. Are your parents still living?
14. Do you have any gray hairs?
I don't think so!
15. Did you or your family own a Betamax?
16. How did you spend New Year’s Eve 1999/2000?
Probably doing something really lame. Most all my NYE memories are of letdowns.
17. What’s the oldest article of clothing you still wear?
I have t-shirts from 5K runs I did in high school, so almost 20 years ago. They have holes in them but they're soft and I refuse to let them all go.
18. Do you eat your vegetables?
Yes, except lima beans. Oh but those are beans so it's okay.
19. Are the privileges of adulthood worth the responsibilities?
Oh fuck yes. Alfie Kohn talks about how being a kid sucks because you can be having fun, and anyone can come along and physically lift you out of the fun.
20. Do you feel like an adult?
Yes except I'm procrastinating on my taxes right now so that doesn't help.
21. Is youth wasted on the young?
I'm 34... not old enough to be saying that yet. I'm still young.