A non-talking 20 month old would be something to maybe ask about though.
So Olive, at 18 months, was really not saying anything. Babbling in cute ways, and shaking her head "no", and doing her sign language. I wondered for a minute if she'd catch up.
I forgot how this works.
words come in cascades, like a waterfall. I don't even know what her first word was, I just know that I started coming home from work to Marc asking olive if she wanted a cracker and her replying back "crack-ooo!". then she'd be babbling something about "oooos" and bring me a pair of shoes. well, hey.
So at a smidge over 19 months, here is the List Of Words Olive Can Say. And at this rate, there won't be a list for 20 months, because we won't be able to list them all. I remember Josie being 2 or 3 and our pediatrician asking "how many words can she say?" And Marc looked stunned and said, "She never stops talking.... she knows... ALL THE WORDS."
Oh, and the first two... "No" and "Mine"... just happened about two weeks ago in a kind of scary way. One day she was our sweet little baby. The next day, toddler. Complete with a shrill, defiant, completely clear message of strong disapproval. Do not take Olive's shit away, she will turn on you.
- Bite (constantly wants a "bite" of whatever you're eating on the couch, no one is safe)
- Baby (bee-bee... freaking adorable)
- Judy (our dog)
- Cookie (wakes up in the morning saying "I want cookie!" ever since we made the mistake of letting her have cookie crisp cereal once... again, bad parents)
- Donkey (from many, many trips to the zoo)
- Night night
- Bye bye
- Thank you
- Eye (and she can poke you in it to demonstrate)
- "Let it go" (yup, she can sing the chorus... terrible parents)
- Uh huh (favorite response to "Olive, can you say ___?" "uh huh.")
- Uh uh