Our station here has something called "day sponsorship" where for $225 they'll mention throughout the day that you're sponsoring KMUW in honor of your wedding anniversary or to wish someone a happy birthday. Sometimes it's random... someone sponsored 3/14 in honor of pi day, for instance.
I don't know if I'm 13 years old or what but when I saw the day sponsorship option on the online form all I could think of was how I'd want to day sponsor for all the wrong reasons, just so see if I could get them to say something on the radio like "The parents of John Arhea want to wish him a happy graduation." Or I'd want all my coworkers to hear on the radio, "Spacefem wishes herself a happy birthday today because she's AWESOME."
I know I'm not alone, because I asked Marc if we should be day sponsors and he just said, "Can we do it for CHEWBACCA?"
So I stuck with just getting a coffee mug.
Anyway... support public radio! For these reasons:
- They've had the wisdom to screen out immature people like me from day sponsorship all these years
- Wonderful news programs
- Science Friday!
- This American Life
- Diane Rehm really does completely kick ass (I chose this as my #1 reason when I pledged)
- Eleanor Beardsley sounds really cool when she flips into french mode
Oh and locally speaking, KMUW is a great station because:
- I'll admit it, I have a girl crush on local producer Carla Eckels for her amazing voice.
- We have oddly good local movie reviews from Jim Erickson... like too good to be local, plus he talks about whatever random old movies you can see around town which I love.
- They gave Richard Crowson something to do.
Yay for our station: http://www.kmuw.org