1) Get the adobe air binary file from http://get.adobe.com/air/
2) Bad: Open a terminal and type "sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin", only to see nothing happen. Switch to root user, and get error: (mozilla-bin:22306): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 0.0
3) Good: Follow the tip from Nikos_M at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-166863.html to login using sux, not su, when running the binary. In case his comment gets eaten, instructions are to type "sudo apt-get install sux", then type "sux" (instead of "su"), then root pw, then move the bin to the home directory, THEN "sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin".
4) Bad: Double-click the tweetdeck air file (from http://www.tweetdeck.com/beta/) and then I saw a blank window where the buttons acted like buttons, but nothing happened, I wasn't prompted for a twitter password.
5) Good: This was solved from here: (http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2009/03/01/fix-blank-window-problem-in-tweetdeck-on-kde/)... exit tweetdeck, press alt+F2, type "kwallet", restart tweetdeck.
And now it's going! Wow, all that effort for microblogging.